It tastes just like what you get at Chinese restaurants, is so fast to make and you don’t even need to chop a single thing. The wonders of a can of creamed corn.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes
Number of Servings: 2 servings
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken or vegetable broth/stock
- 1 can (16oz/420g) creamed corn
- 1 tsp soy sauce (all purpose or light)
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine OR Mirin or Dry Sherry (can omit)
- 1 tsp ginger , minced or finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced or finely chopped
- 1 tsp cornflour / corn starch , mixed with a splash of cold water
- 1 egg , whisked
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- Salt and white pepper , to taste
- 3 tbsp sliced scallions / shallots (optional)
- Place broth, creamed corn, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, ginger, garlic and cornflour / water mixture in a saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to boil, then turn down the heat to medium and stir occasionally. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, turn off heat, and slowly whisk in the egg so it cooks in “ribbons” throughout the soup. This also thickens the soup.
- Add the chicken, season with white pepper, and serve, garnished with scallions.
*not all ingredients are available at The Care