This stir fry vegetables recipe is full of colorful veggies and an easy sauce that makes them taste irresistible! Add rice and a protein and you’ve got dinner.
Recipe by: Sonja and Alex Overhiser
Number of Servings: 4 servings
For the vegetables
- 3 large heads of broccoli
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
For the stir fry sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated (2-inch nub)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil (regular, not toasted)
- Start the rice and decide which protein you’ll be adding.
- Chop the broccoli into large florets (about 6 cups florets total). Dice the pepper and red onions into bite sized squares. Remove the stems from the portobellos (if necessary), slice them into strips,. Place everything in a large bowl.
- Mince the garlic. Peel the ginger and grate it. Place them together in a small bowl.
- Stir together the mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and Sriracha in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet or wok over high heat, and heat the oil. Add the broccoli, red onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until just starting to brown on edges, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and ginger, then cook for 1 minute, until broccoli is crisp tender but still bright green. Turn off the heat and add the sauce, stirring until combined. Salt to taste. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion (optional). Serve with rice and desired protein (see above).
*not all ingredients are available at The Care